RoundTable Roundup – Metal State’s Top 15 of 2014!
Posted by Reggie
By now you may have seen our individual end-of-year best albums. If not, our main page is littered with individual lists of what rocked our worlds this year. Please, check it out. For those who stopped by, you probably noticed that we at Metal State have varied taste in metal. Only a few albums made it across multiple annual lists. Having said that, another list is about to get thrown into the mix; a first for this website.
Throughout the year we put together collective reviews we coined as “roundtable” reviews. With all four reviewers providing comments on these reviews, we present to you our Top 15, strictly by the numbers. It is worth noting that some of our roundtable reviews sometimes only include three of four reviewers. To be fair, we left those albums off this list. This Top 15 reflects only those albums where all of us could provide comments.
We came together for about 70 collaborative reviews on selected albums. It is interesting to note that not one album received a perfect score of 5 out of 5. Also, not one album received an overall 1 out of 5 or below…though a few were close.
We hope you had as much fun listening to metal this year as we did. 2014 gave us a ton of metal. Honestly, I hope 2015 eases up on the metal a bit.
The list below are the Top 15 RoundTable Reviews of A Metal State of Mind for 2014.
15. Dzyen – Self-Titled EP / Tech Metal / Review Score 3.93
14. Deep In Hate – Chronicles of Oblivion / Death Metal / Review Score 3.94
13. BongCauldron – Self-Titled / Sludge / Review Score 3.94
12. Sonus Mortis – Propaganda Dream Sequence / Doom, Symphonic / Review Score 3.95
11. Voyager – V / Prog Metal / Review Score 3.99
10. The Golden Grass – Self-Titled / Psychedelic Rock / Review Score 4
9. Ethereal Riffian – Aeonian / Post Sludge, Stoner / Review Score 4.05
8. The Great Old Ones – Takeli-Li / Black, Post-Metal / Review Score 4.13
7. Arch Enemy – War Eternal / Melodic Death / Review Score 4.13
6. Lazer/Wulf – The Beast of Left and Right / Experimental / Review Score 4.25
5. Fallujah – The Flesh Prevails / Prog Death / Review Score 4.31
4. Fleshworld – Like We’re All Eual Again / Post-Metal / Review Score 4.43
3. SepticFlesh – Titan / Symphonic Death / Review Score 4.44
2. Mastodon – Once More ‘Round The Sun / Prog Sludge / Review Score 4.63
1. Behemoth – The Satanist / Extreme, Black Metal / Review Score 4.88
In case you were wondering, the bands listed below received overall high marks for awesomeness on our roundtable reviews, but were only reviewed by 3 of us or less. These are the ones I mentioned were left off the end-year list. Sorry, life gets in the way we can’t all take part in our collaborative reviews. We thought you might like to know about these bands in case you haven’t heard of them, though some you may be quite familiar with: Destiny Potato, Architects, Altitudes & Attitude, Need, Sight of Emptiness, Anathema, We All Die (Laughing), Nux Vomica, Sierra, The Room Colored Charlatan, and Cancerous Womb.
Let’s what metal has in store for us in 2015…
About ReggieJust a dude writing a heavy metal blog and always on the prowl for a cool metal show. I am also a family man...first and foremost!
Posted on December 30, 2014, in Best of 2014 and tagged Arch Enemy, Behemoth, Black Metal, BongCauldron, Deep in Hate, Dzyen, Ethereal Riffian, Fleshworld, Lazer/Wulf, Mastodon, Post Rock, Prog, SepticFlesh, sludge, Sonus Mortis, The Golden Grass, The Great Old Ones, Voyager. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.