Bands I Should Like, But Do Not!
Posted by Reggie
So don’t throw a hammer at me or anything because of this list. I think of myself as an equal opportunity metal fan, but there are some bands out there that I have heard numerous times and/or seen in concert and I still can’t get into them. So if you asked me if i liked any of the five bands I am about to list, I would either say no or shrug my shoulders in uncertainty. This list is in no particular order.
1. Lamb of God. There is no underestimating this band’s popularity. I want to really like them, I really do because they are a no frills metal band. They kind of remind me a bit of Pantera. I even saw them three times in concert with Anthrax, Slayer, and at Download 2010. I also own two of their albums and still…just can’t be crazy about Lamb of God. This is one of the shrug my shoulders bands. I think I am missing something here.
2. Mastodon. This is another one I just do not get. I saw them once with Slayer, but do not own any material from them. I feel I should like them, but again, not sure what I am missing with this band. When I saw them, they were loud and heavy live, but I sat in the bleachers patiently waiting for Slayer to come on stage.
3. Avenged Sevenfold. I have seen probably all of their videos on Scuzz and Kerrang. I can see that this band has some talent individually, but as a group I think they are missing the mark. I heard that their earlier stuff was more heavy than it is now. They seem so popular today, but more with the younger metal crowd. Maybe it’s because I am pushing 40 that I do not get this band.
4. Coheed and Cambria. I like when bands come out with a different style of music. I like some prog bands and I think this is where Coheed and Cambria fit…so why is it that I can’t get into them? I am not sure why. I see that they are wildly popular with their fans and that they are highly talented, but when I hear them I find myself scratching my head.
5. Meshuggah. No way. I tried, I really did, and this is one band I feel I should like, but no. I bought an album, gave it the three customary listens (for proper judgement), and no. This band is a no-go for me.
I could probably name a few other bands, but I went with a list of bands that I know reached a certain level of popularity and/or success in the metal world. I should like them, but either I am still uncertain or I just do not like them. Do you think I am missing the mark here? What are some bands you feel you should like, but do not? Chime in, let’s talk about it.